Advice to the Modern Gun Student
I have been doing this for a long time now. My teaching career began in 1977, teaching Karate at the Burbank YMCA. It was great gig for a 17 year old and it paid for gas and for the cost of dating the girl that would become my wife. I know how to teach people to do violence. I doubt there are many men on earth that have done so as long or as diversely, or as widely as I have.
In fact, I am sitting at the hotel bar right how pondering the lessons from my last class here in Texas. My job as a teacher is not to stroke the student's ego...as so many do today. My job is to show them truth. If they suck...it is my job to patiently show them...but also to show them how to overcome that. Many of my students have killed bad guys. Some as private citizens...others on the payroll of city or nation. I have done this on five continents. One might say I know a few things.
So this can be thought of as my advice to the modern gun student. What will make them better at being a killer...a good guy killer of bad guys. And that is what the whole point of the exercise is...is it not.
- Don't be the fat gun guy that can shoot all day but when gets winded walking back for more ammo. Or the gun guy that is so frail he could not give or take a punch. Fighting is fighting, and fighting calls for some physical skills that the gun will not make up for. And today, with the knowledge in nutrition, physical training and medicine, there is no reason, barring incurable and unexpected disease, to accept a physical decline as normal. And specially not at an early age.
- Understand this...believe it...internalize it. It is not about the game of shooting...it is not about the target...it is not about the stage or about the score, or about the rules. It is about killing. And it is about using the pistol to kill your threat with.
- Freedom and peace come from the ever-present ability to do lethal violence on others. Never allow the pussies of society to confuse you. Order exists because violence demands order.
- Never allow your ability to move, or your ability to learn and to think, be diminished through the lack of practice. Modern society seeks to breed the feral out of you. Resist that with every fiber of your being. Stay Feral!!
- Top quality gear will not be cheap or affordable...but top quality gear will not hold back the development you seek, nor will it fail to perform...nor prevent you from performing to your highest level at the most crucial moment of your life. Students attending top level training with cheap equipment are stealing the opportunity of learning and developing from themselves.
- There is no such thing as self defense, and self defense shooting is an invention of the pusillanimous. There is attack...and there is counter attack. There is nothing else. You either have the upper hand at the outset...or you fight for it and never give it back. Those thinking about defense will perish at the hands of those more aggressive. Don't defend...Kill the bad guy. That is the point of the exercise.
- Language is a weapon, you must learn to wield words like you place bullets...accurately and efficiently. As Musashi would say...there is much to study here...deeply.
- Carry of the pistol does two things...it hides it from prying eyes, and allows it to explode into action in an eyeblink. Think how you would carry a pistol into a hostile environment where you would be killed if discovered. Where would you hide it? How would you carry it? THAT is how you should carry daily. Think like a thug without permission, not like a cop with a badge.
- The sword that kills and the sword that gives life is the same sword. The pistol is the modern sword. It kills those that do evil so that those who are innocent can live. . The modern gunman is as the ancient swordsman. God calls us to stand in the gap and to say to the sons of evil, "You shall not pass". And then to shoot them in their fucking faces.
- No matter the rules, no matter the situation, or the odds, thank the Lord God of Hosts for your enemies, and then attack them. As I said earlier. Its not about technique...or about methods. Its about killing the other guy without being killed. There is no reason to complicate the matter any further than that.
We cut our enemy's throats with Occam's Razor